Thursday, April 17, 2014

Non-Consumer Review - Plato's Closet Newmarket

If you've spent more than a few minutes glancing around my blog you'll have noticed I'm in a bit of a decluttering phase and attempting to move towards a more minimalist, non-consumer lifestyle.  I've put some time into sorting through my wardrobe and culling out what no longer fits, what is damaged/worn-out and what I just never end up wearing.  Due to my weight gain over the last year and a half (why must food be so delicious?!?) there was a lot that was pulled to the side and put in boxes marked "Sell at garage sale, unsold gets donated".  

I was talking about this to a co-worker the other day and he suggested I try taking some of my stuff by Plato's Closet.  Honestly, I've heard their radio ads and just never thought to drop by when I was out thrifting.  Apparently, there are two locations that are semi-near me.  Keep in mind, I live in a small town, there's not a whole lot thrift-wise within a 15 minute drive so it's normal for me to have to drive 30-35 minutes if I need to go clothes shopping.  Their Newmarket location was definitely within that range so I sorted through my boxes and picked what I thought *might* be accepted.  I had looked at their website so I knew my business casual wear wasn't going to cut it but wasn't so sure about some of my other stuff.  You never know until you try, right?

I hopped into my (t)Rusty Ride, Betty the Mazda3, and headed over.  The plaza (look for the plaza behind the Mandarin) was unpleasantly busy for this wannabe country girl but I am SO. FREAKING. GLAD. I finally checked this place out.  I have to give some serious kudos to the people behind Plato's Closet.  The store was tidy, the aisles weren't crammed together, the staff was incredibly friendly (shout out to Kristen who welcomed me, explained the process and cashed me out), all of the merchandise I checked out was in great shape, items were fairly priced, even the music they were playing was leagues better than what you have to listen to at other secondhand shops.  It was an amazeballs (read: great, if you don't like made-up words) shopping experience with only one itty-bitty negative.  I guess the staff forgot to write my  name on the "Your buy is ready" board so I kept shopping, wondering how long it would take for them to finish evaluating the clothes/accessories I brought in.  No biggie, since I would've gladly spent more time perusing their racks if I hadn't needed to head into work.

Plato's Closet is probably THE place to shop for budget-conscious or non-consumer girls and guys in their teens and twenties.  (I know, I know, it's not cool to be budget conscious or a non-consumer...)  For someone around my age, *cough* 33 *cough*, its still an extremely worthwhile thrift location to add to your list.  You're going to find a much better-curated selection of denim, athletic wear and fast-fashion type casual wear than you'd find at stores like Goodwill or Value Village.  I'm not knocking those stores (I shop there too!!) but there are only so many pairs of ratty sweatpants, "mom jeans" and stretched out t-shirts you can sort through before frustration sets in.  Price-wise, I haven't done much hardcore thrifting lately so my impression may be off but I found the pricing to be comparable, or even just a bit lower, than what you'd expect to find at Value Village or the Salvation Army Thrift Stores.  Considering that the items are much more current and in better shape than what you might find elsewhere...the pricing is fantastic.

As far as the bin of clothes I took in...only 11 items were purchased but I'm not surprised after seeing their inventory (my stuff wasn't in horrible shape, just not really what their target demographic would buy).  I'd likely have gotten a bit more money for those items if I had gone to a regular consignment shop but a) consignment shops seem to be getting harder to find in my area and b) you have to wait and see if the items actually sell whereas Plato's gives you cash on the spot.  I picked up 2 "new" pairs of yoga pants (actually, one pair was NWT!!), cashed out for the difference and headed on my way.  I'm actually itching to go back  (especially since there was a beaded necklace I loved and I forgot to grab, boo) and pick up some jeans and tees for spring.

Check it out! - Plato's Closet Newmarket - 16655 Yonge Street, Newmarket (905) 853-8880

Happily,
Kris

**The Plato's Closet logo at the top isn't my property.  If it's yours and you'd like it removed, let me know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment