Monday, April 14, 2014

Minimalism Through Attrition is Frustrating as Heck

Hello, hello!

I've been back on call for the past few days and either nobody has been calling in sick or the airline has forgotten about me.  I can't say I'm complaining, its given me a lot of time to catch up on my Real Property Law reading so I'm basically back on track for being ready for my exam in May.  I've also been continuing to go through drawers, cupboards, boxes, etc. every so often to sort through what I want to keep and what is unnecessary.

Let me tell you...minimalism through attrition is CRAZY frustrating.  I keep finding random stuff that I actually DO use and my much-tighter-than-usual budget means I need to use these things instead of passing them on.  I've found half-pads of post-its (I use them a lot while flying), sample sized shampoos/conditioners/lotions, about a thousand tea bags grabbed from hotel rooms (as I leave to head to work and then never end up using).  There is just a lot of "stuff" that I'm choosing to organize/sort and prioritize to use before opening up new packages.  Even in the areas where I'm not finding more stuff (like my cosmetics), it seems like its just taking forever to use things up which is ironic because I *should* be trying to make things last as long as possible.  For example, in an attempt to finally use up a lipstick that was about 3/4s used, I've been wearing pretty much the same makeup look for over a month...and that lipstick refuses to die!!  I shouldn't be conflicted as a mantra I admire and actually usually try to live by most of the time is "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" but I feel as if, having decided that I don't want to be surrounded by mounds of stuff, I can't seem to get rid of it quickly enough.

Things are good though;

  • May is my last reduced flying month so I'll be back to my regular budget shortly (and not a moment too soon, based on the repairs/work around my house I'll need to pay someone to do).
  • My *final* real estate exam is May 10th and then all the really time intensive courses will be out of the way.
  • The community garage sale is at the end of the month so hopefully most of the stuff I've corralled into my garage will be turned into at least a little bit of cash.
It's not as if I'm about to enter some magical phase of my life but a few things that I have been counting down to are finally getting close to happening!!

Happily,
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment